Top Rated Breast Lift in New York
Is a Breast Lift Right For You?
Women’s breasts change over time, losing their youthful shape and firmness. This loss of elasticity can be attributed to pregnancy and breastfeeding, weight fluctuations, aging, and heredity. A breast lift (mastopexy) is a surgical procedure to raise and reshape sagging breasts and rejuvenate your figure with a breast profile that is youthful and uplifting. Breast lifts can also reduce the size of the areola (the dark area surrounding the nipple) if they have stretched out or point downward.
Some of the benefits of a breast lift include the correction of drooping breasts, a more youthful appearance, increased self-confidence, and better clothing options.
If you’re considering a breast lift but unsure if it's the right choice for you, it’s important to know why you’re doing it. Deciding to undergo any cosmetic surgery is a significant step, so it's crucial to be well-informed. At Aristocrat Plastic Surgery, Dr. Kevin Tehrani is an expert breast surgeon and has performed hundreds of successful breast lifts. Here are some factors to consider before undergoing a breast lift:
- Sagging Breasts: If you're bothered by sagging breasts, a breast lift can help restore them to a more youthful and perky appearance. This procedure is ideal for individuals who have experienced changes in breast shape and position due to pregnancy, weight fluctuations, or aging.
- Nipple Position: Are your nipples pointing downward or sitting lower than you'd like? A breast lift can reposition the nipples higher on the breast mound, creating a more balanced and aesthetic look.
- Breast Volume: If you're satisfied with the volume of your breasts but not the way they hang, a breast lift without implants may be the answer. However, if you desire fuller breasts, you might consider combining a breast lift with breast augmentation.
- Overall Health: You need to be assured that you’re in good health, both physically and emotionally, to undergo surgery. Discuss your medical history and expectations with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Tehrani to determine if you’re a suitable candidate.
- Realistic Expectations: It's essential to have realistic expectations about the procedure's outcome. A breast lift can provide a significant improvement to your overall look, but it won't achieve perfection.
Before deciding on a breast lift, a private consultation with Dr. Tehrani will help assess your unique situation, discuss your goals, and recommend the most suitable treatment plan. Remember that the decision to undergo a breast lift procedure should be based on your desires and needs, not on societal pressure or external influences. Ultimately, the choice is yours, but it should align with your comfort, confidence, and self-image.
A breast lift is recommended for women who are generally satisfied with the size of their breasts but feel that their breasts are sagging.
The ideal candidate for a breast lift, also known as mastopexy, is an individual who is seeking to rejuvenate the appearance of their breasts by addressing sagging or drooping. This surgical procedure is designed to lift and reshape the breasts, providing a more youthful and perky appearance. While breast lift surgery can be suitable for a variety of patients, there are specific characteristics and considerations that make someone an ideal candidate for this procedure:
- Breast Sagging: The most common reason for seeking a breast lift is breast sagging, technically known as ptosis. Ideal candidates typically have breasts that have lost their natural firmness and elasticity, with the nipples and areolas positioned lower than they desire. The degree of ptosis can vary, but the procedure is often effective for mild to moderate cases.
- Overall Good Health: Candidates for a breast lift should be in good general health. A comprehensive medical evaluation is typically performed to ensure no underlying medical conditions or adverse conditions might increase the surgical risks.
- Stable Weight: It’s important for candidates to have a stable body weight. Significant fluctuations in weight can affect the long-term results of a breast lift. So it’s advisable for individuals to reach and maintain their target weight before considering the procedure.
- Realistic Expectations: Ideal candidates have a clear understanding of the results that can be achieved with a breast lift and have realistic expectations. A consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Kevin Tehrani can help individuals considering a breast lift set appropriate goals for the surgery.
- Finished Bearing Children: Candidates who have completed their family planning, including childbirth and breastfeeding, are often considered ideal for a breast lift. Pregnancy and breastfeeding can affect breast shape and position, and future pregnancies may impact the results of the procedure.
- Non-smoker: Smoking can impair the healing process and increase the risk of complications, so ideal candidates should be non-smokers or willing to quit for a period of time before and after surgery.
- Emotional Readiness: Undergoing any surgical procedure, including a breast lift, can be emotionally taxing. Ideal candidates are emotionally prepared for the physical and emotional aspects of the process, including recovery and the potential for scarring.
- Adequate Breast Tissue: While a breast lift can address sagging, it does not significantly change breast size. Candidates who desire a change in breast size may consider a breast augmentation or reduction in conjunction with a lift.
- Realistic Expectations About Scarring: A breast lift does involve incisions, and the ideal candidate should be comfortable with the potential of some degree of scarring. However, a skilled plastic surgeon will aim to minimize scarring as much as possible.
It's essential for anyone considering a breast lift to consult with Dr. Tehrani to determine their eligibility and discuss their individual goals and concerns. He will evaluate your specific situation and tailor a surgical plan to meet your unique needs. Ultimately, the ideal candidate for a breast lift is someone who is looking to enhance their breast appearance and has the physical and emotional characteristics to support a successful outcome.
This procedure is usually performed with the patient under general anesthesia. The procedure involves several key steps:
- Consultation: The process begins with a consultation with board-certified plastic surgeon, Dr. Kevin Tehrani. During this consultation, the patient discusses their goals and expectations with Dr. Tehranii. He will assess the patient's breast size, shape, skin elasticity, and degree of sagging to determine the most suitable technique for their needs.
- Anesthesia: Before the surgery begins, the patient is administered either general anesthesia or intravenous sedation with local anesthesia to ensure they’re comfortable and pain-free throughout the procedure.
- Incision Placement: There are several types of incisions that Dr. Tehrani may use, depending on the patient's specific needs. The most common incision patterns include:
- Periareolar incision: A circular incision made around the areola (the dark area surrounding the nipple).
- Vertical incision: A lollipop-shaped incision made around the areola and extending vertically down to the breast crease.
- Inverted T or anchor incision: This incision combines the peri-areolar and vertical incisions with an additional horizontal incision along the breast crease, resembling an anchor shape
- Internal Bra with Galaflex mesh - Occasionally, Dr. Tehrani may use an absorbable internal mesh as support for your breasts for long lasting results
Skin is removed around this incision and a firmer breast is the result. The amount of lift is directly proportional to the amount of skin removed. This technique is about minimizing the skin loss (and hence the scarring).
At times, an anchor-shaped incision vertical from the areola, as well as under the breast crease, may be required to reshape the breast skin. After excess skin has been removed, the nipple and areola are moved to the appropriate position, and the breast is reshaped.
The choice of incision pattern depends on the extent of sagging and the desired outcome. The procedure wraps up with the following steps:
- Reshaping the Breast Tissue: Once the incisions are made, the surgeon will lift and reshape the breast tissue to create a more youthful and perky contour. Excess skin may also be removed during this step.
- Repositioning the Nipple-Areolar Complex: In cases where the nipples have become displaced due to sagging, the surgeon will reposition the Nipple-Areolar area to a higher, more youthful location.
- Closing Incisions: After achieving the desired breast shape, the surgeon will close the incisions with sutures, sometimes using dissolvable stitches that do not require removal.
- Dressing and Bandaging: The surgeon will apply dressings, tape, and possibly a support bra to aid in the healing process and maintain the new breast shape.
- Recovery: After the procedure, patients will be monitored in a recovery area and given post-operative care instructions. It's essential to follow these instructions for optimal healing and to minimize scarring.
Recovery from a breast lift procedure can vary from person to person, but typically involves some discomfort, swelling, and bruising. Most patients can return to their normal activities within a few weeks, but it may take several months for the final results to become fully apparent.
A breast lift can provide long-lasting results by addressing sagging and restoring a more youthful breast contour. However, it's important to note that the effects of aging, gravity, and lifestyle factors can still influence the breast's appearance over time.
Breast Lift Procedure (Cont'd)
Types of Breast Augmentation Procedures
Meet Dr. Kevin Tehrani, MD FACS
Top plastic surgeon Dr. Kevin Tehrani is the founder and director of Aristocrat Plastic Surgery. He values reaching the highest levels of achievement in reconstructive and plastic surgical training, continuing education and clinical experience. Your comprehensive consultation will be exceedingly informative, clear, balanced and there will be plenty of opportunity to discuss all your concerns.
Select Breast Augmentation Galleries
Schedule Your Free Consultation Today
"*" indicates required fields