The rising trend of Botox® procedures among men has been a (pardon the pun) shot in the arm. These days, it’s not just women feeling the pressure to look “camera ready.” Men are also sharing in the scrutiny because of greater stigma in the workplace about older workers, career longevity, generational preferences for hiring and promotions, concerns about personal health, vitality, and fitness. The biggest drivers behind the “Brotox” phenomenon, though, appear to be one’s sense of job security and being viewed as a competitive asset in the workplace.
The popularity of plastic surgery as a whole is no longer the near-exclusive domain of women. More men have turned to discreet surgical and non-surgical procedures to combat the signs of aging and look their best in recent years. Botox has emerged as a relatively painless “quick fix” for this growing market.
In fact, Botox topped the list for nonsurgical procedures performed on men in 2017. According to the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery, more than 160,000 men underwent botox injections in 2017, and in 2018, there were nearly half-a-million men who received Botox treatments. Plus, over 100,000 additional men chose to undergo other non-invasive cosmetic procedures such as filler injectables.
Why are men jumping on the Botox bandwagon?
There are numerous reasons why Botox has become the magic elixir of the 21st century, and a popular cosmetic surgery choice for men. For many men, especially those in their late 20s and early 30s, Botox is like preventive maintenance to fend off brow wrinkles, crows feet, and the early signs of aging. And it’s not just limited to the men who work in fashion, advertising, or entertainment. A cross section of men from almost every walk of life are opting for Botox injections to help them keep a more youthful look for as long as possible.
For some men in business, the use of Botox is a means to maintain a look of vitality and relevancy in their careers to continue to be considered for opportunities and stay competitive with their younger colleagues. It’s becoming apparent though, that in all industries, “Brotox” is exerting its influence on how men perceive themselves as they take more interest in their physical appearance.
As Dr. Kevin Tehrani, leading board-certified plastic surgeon in New York says, “Most men want a natural look without the frozen look or stigma. As baby boomers are getting older and more fitness-savvy, they want to have facial features to match, and also better fit in the workforce compared to younger men.”
But underlying all of these reasons is the one that stands out the most — social media. Instagram’s rise as an uncontested “barometer of beauty” has led to an increased focus on appearance. A recent report by Men’s Health suggests the internet is creating this new pressure on men to look younger, particularly for their social media (and dating!) profiles.
What’s all the buzz about Botox?
The versatility of Botox is one of its key benefits. It can help in the treatment of a wide variety of medical conditions that go beyond cosmetic uses.
- In 2004, Botox was approved by the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to be used in the treatment of axillary hyperhidrosis, also known as excessive arm and hand sweating, which brought a wave of relief to sufferers with the condition who have had great difficulties getting through business and social occasions because of it.
- Studies have shown that Botox injections have been effective in treating symptoms that are commonly associated with migraine headaches, cerebral palsy, fibromyalgia, multiple sclerosis, and strokes.
- Men who suffer from an enlarged prostate typically receive a formidable list of medications to take for their condition. But, a new study revealed that a single injection of Botox has healing potential. At the University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine and the University Medical College in Taiwan, researchers discovered that Botox injections into the prostate gland of affected men helped to reduce their symptoms and provide relief that helped improve their quality of life.
- When it comes to the cosmetic benefits to combat aging, Botox can help smooth out the laugh lines, crow’s feet, and glabellar lines that show up between your eyebrows to help you look younger.
- Botox is a minimally invasive procedure. With surgeries that involve administering anesthesia, like gynecomastia (male breast reduction) or facelifts, injections like Botox eliminate surgery and recovery time. Procedures take very little time in a doctor’s office and can be administered in minutes.
Let’s face it, Botox has its benefits!
While Botox treatments are a non-invasive option to correct or prevent certain signs of aging, as with any medical procedure, you’ll want to have your procedure performed by a doctor who has been certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery as has Dr. Tehrani, renowned for his mastery in aesthetic surgery.
Just face the facts:
- Botox treatments are the easiest non-surgical methods to eliminate fine lines and wrinkles in the face.
- Unlike brow and facelifts that are much more extensive surgical procedures that some men may undergo, Botox is a non-invasive procedure, so it requires little anesthesia if any.
- Botox treatments take only minutes to administer, where more extensive procedures to reduce wrinkles can take almost four hours to complete and weeks to recover.
- Botox has been known as the “lunchtime makeover” because you can have your treatment done during lunch, and make it back to your office to get back to work for the remainder of the day (in some cases). As there’s no recovery time involved, there may be some bruising or swelling, which may require taking a day off if it’s very noticeable or discomforting.
- Botox noticeably enhances your appearance for a more vibrant and youthful look. And not only does it eliminate undesirable wrinkles and lines around the face, it can help prevent new lines and wrinkles from forming.
- Remaining competitive in the workplace has become a matter of looking competitive, which means looking strong and energetic. Botox can help give a man’s appearance a boost. The need to look as vital and fit as possible is being used as a qualifier for promotion in some businesses.
- Botox helps men fight the unsightly under-eye bags that appear as they begin to age and make them look older.
- Botox can help boost self-esteem and improve confidence and mood. In some cases, it has even been known to be effective in treating symptoms of major depression in patients. In turn, its benefits help improve the quality of life of some men, which can result in greater career success and happiness in personal life.
- Just a few years ago, Botox was discovered to have properties that could treat stubborn acne. While there are clinical trials in progress, and a few case studies on the subject, Botox appears to be effective in helping to reduce oil production in the skin, and has been used before to clear up pimples on the forehead. But, as studies are still ongoing, many dermatologists recommend against using Botox as a first defense against acne. Better to stick with known acne-fighting agents such as Salicylic Acid, which is a safe and effective acne and blemish treatment.
- Keep in mind that there are some risks involved with Botox as with any medicinal treatment, yet in the hands of a skilled master surgeon such as Dr. Tehrani, you can rest assured that you’re in highly capable hands. Dr. Tehrani is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He is Chief of the Division of Plastic Surgery at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and is a member of multiple local and national societies, including the American Society of Plastic Surgeons.
Some tips to ensure your Botox experience goes as smooth as possible.
- With so many brands of injectables constantly flooding on the market these days, you need the knowledge of a trained, board certified plastic surgeon who knows the market thoroughly, and knows what’s best and what’s not, and what works and what doesn’t. Dr. Tehrani has been given the distinctive honor of being an ExpertInjector™, which is a distinction that only 3% of doctors have qualified for. This means that Dr. Tehrani is a top physician for Botox® in New York City. The ExpertInjector organization is the only one to have the endorsement of both the prestigious American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery and the American Society for Dermatologic Surgery.
- It’s very important to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon like Dr. Tehrani before proceeding with your Botox treatment plan. By having a thorough and comprehensive consultation with your surgeon, you can avoid the risk of any possible side effects affecting your experience by having an age-appropriate and personalized treatment plan to get you looking your best and feeling more confident.
- With so many varieties of Botox formulations on the market today, you need to be wary of possible counterfeit treatments. The FDA is so aware of this that they’ve issued public safety alerts. So, the best way to avoid this — and we can’t emphasize it enough — is to always seek out a board certified doctor and plastic surgery facility to have your treatments. Make sure you have all the information you need before making a decision. Start your research by checking out our Resource pages and About Us page. These online resources are designed to help you obtain articles, news, important events, and other relevant information about the cosmetic procedures offered at Aristocrat Plastic Surgery & MedAesthetics.
- If you’re wondering about the cost of having Botox treatments, at Aristocrat Plastic Surgery & MedAesthetics, we believe that nothing should stand in the way of achieving the look you want and desire. So to help you reach the goals you’ve set for yourself, we offer many financing options to help you cover costs. The acceptance of Botox by men has made it the #1 cosmetic treatment ranking above any other treatment or in any other specialty. The satisfaction rate for Botox is very high, and in addition to that, it’s other benefits are that it has minimal complications, there’s no downtime from receiving treatments, and it’s a highly cost-efficient procedure when compared to other plastic surgical treatments.
- The length of time that Botox lasts is typically 3 to 4 months. If your Botox treatment wears off sooner than 3 months, it usually means that you need more or that you’ve got good, strong muscles. In general, when higher doses are used, the results last longer. As a certified ExpertInjector, Dr. Tehrani is skilled in determining the optimal amount of Botox you’ll need and the frequency of treatments you’ll need to maintain your best look.
- Botox has stimulated and empowered men into taking better care of themselves and putting more focus on their appearance without feeling ashamed or embarrassed. With the ease of going in for treatments, many men find it much less intimidating to undergo and without so much of the stigma that plastic surgery still has them believing. Botox has become an investment in themselves…for their careers, their social life, and their confidence.
Botox compared to Fillers
Fillers are cosmetic treatments that do what Botox does, namely to help fight wrinkles and smooth lines in the face. Fillers use collagen to “fill” trouble areas with collagen that help in stimulating the growth of collagen in the face as well as plump it up and replace the skin’s collagen loss by lifting it.
The main ingredient in fillers is Hyaluronic Acid (HA), which is an age-defying ingredient. It helps hydrate the skin and gives it plumpness to help smooth out the lines. The effects of fillers with their wrinkle-eliminating properties can last up to nine months.
Botox is a prescribed cosmetic medicine that has been approved by the FDA to help treat wrinkles and lines in the face. Botox is a neurotoxin made from Botulinum toxin, which is a bacterial neurotoxin produced by the Clostridium Botulinum bacteria.
This toxin is one of the most deadly toxins known to man, but used in extremely small quantities it can treat a large number of medical issues. In large quantities, the Botulinum toxin can destroy vital proteins and nerves in the face and skin. On a smaller scale though, Botox simply blocks signals that are being communicated between muscles and nerves by weakening muscle contractions. With weakened muscle contractions, skin that lies above the facial muscles has the ability to stay smooth and free of wrinkles.
Summarily, Hyaluronic Acid is a good cosmetic treatment best suited for use on wrinkles that are apparent even when your face is at rest. On the other hand, Botox is the perfect solution for reducing the appearance of frown lines and crow’s feet, which appear when muscles are contracted. On men, the area most commonly treated for them is the area to the sides of the eyes caused by a lot of squinting. Both men and women have common issues with frown lines and forehead lines. And, according to Dr. Tehrani, in men, forehead areas age more swiftly and wrinkles in the brow look deeper because men have more muscle mass than women.
Designed to address different areas where lines appear on the face, Botox and Hyaluronic Acid fillers can be beneficial to men who are seeking to minimize the look of fine lines and wrinkles on their faces. You should seek out a credible, board-certified dermatologist or plastic surgeon and schedule a consultation to take you through the process and address your specific skin care needs.
In terms of popularity, in figures from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, 2018 alone saw over a half-million men receiving Botox treatments. In addition, another 100,000 men chose to undergo cosmetic injections of fillers.
The Help You Need to Stay In Your Prime
With such an emphasis on appearances these days, and with the omnipresent and invasive nature of social media, men have to be on their guard to ensure they look their best for any situation.
A greater number of men are choosing to explore their options and come in looking for Botox treatments. And it starts early too. When you look at the groups that typify the demographic for Botox, it runs the gamut from guys in their 20s to their 30s who are beginning to see the early stages of aging in their faces.
Doing some preventive work with Botox can slow down the ravages of time. For older men, the rationale behind getting Botox can come down to simply wanting to start a new chapter in their lives, possibly due to a job or career change, or possibly because of a life challenge.
For what seems like the main reason men are jumping on the Brotox bandwagon, the magic potion has become a shield of armor in the battle against ageism that’s unfortunately thrives in many corporate settings these days, and whether it’s competing for a position or promotion inside of a company, or interviewing to win that dream job, men are feeling that they’ll stand better chances if their look is as dynamic and youthful as possible.
Remember, cosmetic procedures aren’t just for women. With increasing demands on men to look the best they can in both social and professional settings – particularly in the highly competitive northeast – more men have turned to getting discreet surgical and non-surgical procedures done to combat the signs of aging and look as vigorous as possible.
Whether you’ve lost volume in your face that’s making you look older, or have acquired wrinkles caused by muscle activity, frown lines between the brows or creases on the forehead, Botox injectable treatments can reduce that tired and grumpy look!
When You’re Ready…
When it’s time to seriously consider getting your “Brotox” on, Aristocrat Plastic Surgery & MedAesthetics stands ready to meet your needs by offering the highest level of patient satisfaction.
Our full, trained staff stands ready to help you reach your physical appearance goals. From the time you enter our beautiful waiting room, you can expect to receive the highest level of care. Our facilities are equipped with the latest and safest technologies in the field of plastic and reconstructive surgery.
You’ll be guided by Dr. Kevin Tehrani, MD, FACS, and founder of Aristocrat Plastic Surgery and MedAesthetics. Dr. Tehrani is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and is a fellow of the American College of Surgeons. He earned his medical degree at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, and became Chief Resident in General Surgery during his residency at New York’s Beth Israel Medical Center. Dr. Tehrani holds the academic position of Assistant Clinical Professor in the Department of Surgery at SUNY Downstate Medical Center, and proudly served as a Lieutenant Commander in the Naval Reserves Medical Corps.
Dr. Tehrani has also been named one of the Top 10 Doctors in New York, an ExpertInjector™, a Realself TopDoc, and is a member of the American Society of Plastic Surgeons, and the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Dr. Tehrani will treat your journey through cosmetic procedures with the utmost respect and understanding.
We invite you to discover how Botox treatments can help you look your best at Aristocrat Plastic Surgery, where you can relax knowing you’re in the best hands.
We invite you to discover how Botox treatments can help you look your best at Aristocrat Plastic Surgery, where you can relax knowing you’re in the best hands.