When you make the decision to undergo plastic surgery, no matter what the reason, it’s a big decision. But in these days of self-isolation, making an appointment for an in-person consultation with a plastic surgeon in New York is difficult, if not impossible. To help current and new patients stay as informed as possible about their surgical options and procedures, plastic surgery virtual consultations, like the ones offered by Aristocrat Plastic Surgery, help patients get their questions answered before and after their procedures.
Virtual consultations are very helpful for patients who are located domestically or internationally and are not able to get to the surgeon’s office location prior to their surgical procedure. Virtual consultations allow doctors to meet with patients wherever they’re located in the world, and in the comfort and privacy of their home or other location.
What is a Virtual Plastic Surgery Consultation?
It was once impossible to get the advice of a board-certified plastic surgeon that was located somewhere beyond your zip code, but thanks to the internet and video conferencing technology, virtual plastic surgery consultations are gaining in popularity and convenience for both patients and surgeons alike. Even though it’s a new way to conduct the consultation, virtual consultations are consistent with the way a surgeon would consult with a potential patient in person.
A virtual consultation would be performed using any one of a choice of video conferencing platforms, such as Skype, Google Hangouts, FaceTime, Zoom, etc. All of the virtual applications mentioned here are compatible with commonly used operating systems like Mac, PC, Linux, and devices such as notepads, laptops, desktop computers, and Android and iPhone smartphones.
What Can You Expect Before a Virtual Plastic Surgery Consultation?
You can do a lot of online research to learn about the type of surgery you wish to have, and while having an in-person consultation allows for an up-close assessment on whether the type of of procedure you’re looking to have is right for you, an initial assessment can be made using a virtual consultation, prior to an in-person consultation later on.
You can expect that your virtual consultation will be consistent with how you would meet with a plastic surgeon in person, whether you’re looking to have a breast lift, breast augmentation, body contouring, or other plastic surgery procedure.
Here’s what might happen in your virtual consultation:
- The doctor’s surgical team will ask you for an accurate medical history, and whether you’ve had certain health issues in the past.
- The doctor’s surgical team will ask you if you have ever had past surgeries. The doctor will want to establish a medical history for you that’s accurate to decide if the procedure you want is right for you.
- You could be asked what your aesthetic goals are for your plastic surgery procedure and what your expectations are for your results.
- You might be asked to provide do-it-yourself pre-operative photos for the doctor to view that will give him or her a clear, detailed view of the areas you want corrected, and if you’re an ideal candidate for certain procedures.
A virtual consultation will be a great way to begin your process for a number of reasons:
- You live at a great distance from your cosmetic surgeon.
- Your schedule is very busy and prevents you from scheduling an appointment.
- You’re more comfortable having the privacy of an online pre-consultation.
- Before you actually have your procedure, you desire having a preliminary assessment by your plastic surgeon.
A virtual consultation by phone or video is also an great option because you’ll be able to receive important information to understand what your role is in preparing for your procedure by not smoking, giving yourself plenty of time for recovery, and following your surgeon’s pre-op and post-op instructions closely.
While a virtual consultation won’t replace the benefits of having an in-person consultation with your surgeon, it’s a good way to start your journey to having a successful procedure. It can definitely help you answer important questions informally with your surgeon before you make a definitive commitment, such as:
- Is cosmetic surgery the right option for me?
- If so, which procedure would be best for me?
- Do I feel comfortable and confident with my surgeon?
What You Can Expect During Your Virtual Consultation:
Here’s how a typical virtual consultation process might proceed if you’re far away, or simply prefer the privacy of an at-home evaluation. It starts with you and your computer, positioned in a comfortable, private, well-lit room after you’ve scheduled your virtual consultation appointment, supplied the necessary medical history, and after you’ve connected with your plastic surgeon through one of the video conferencing platforms (Skype, Google Hangouts, FaceTime, Zoom, etc.):
- While you’re discussing your surgery with your doctor, you may be asked to send additional photographs of the area(s) you wish to have plastic surgery performed on.
- Your doctor may want you to send in some written descriptions of what your surgical goals are and the results you hope to achieve.
- After the photographs and information you submit are reviewed, the surgical team may determine if you’re a good candidate for plastic surgery.
- A preliminary plan for your procedure may be sent to you by your plastic surgeon.
- The doctor will then schedule a time for you both to meet in person to discuss your concerns and answer additional questions.
How To Set Up A Virtual Consultation with Aristocrat
Getting started with Aristocrat is easy, all you need to do is:
- Fill out a short form and tell us about your goals.
- A patient coordinator will get back to you to set up your appointment
- Meet with your provider to discuss your aesthetic goals and develop a plan.
Dr. Kevin Tehrani is proud to offer you telehealth virtual consultations – a confidential online consultation tool – to give you a preliminary idea of your proposed treatment plan. Patients near and far can use this valuable resource to learn about our practice and receive informative plastic surgery advice tailored to your specific goals and needs.
When you begin your virtual consultation, you can securely communicate with our staff by sending a message, asking questions, sharing photos, and video consulting directly via FaceTime, Zoom, or Skype. The virtual consultation is a data-secure and HIPAA-compliant telemedicine platform.
Once you have completed your virtual consultation, you may then schedule your procedure. Our team at Aristocrat Plastic Surgery & MedAesthetics will see you in person before your procedure for an in-person consultation and/or pre-operative visit.
Schedule your Telehealth Virtual Appointment today!