What is obesity?
Obesity is the leading precipitating cause of many serious health conditions including but not limited to heart disease, stroke and diabetes. Many, if not most American adults are obese or overweight. The first line management of most of these serious health conditions is life-style modification, meaning diet and exercise. Losing 5-10% of your body weight can significantly reduce the risk of complications of these serious diseases, especially cardiovascular disease.
Obesity is defined as a body mass index (BMI) of 30kg/m2 or higher. Many factors contribute to the causes of obesity including environmental (diet/ lifestyle habits), genetics, and socio-economic factors. Environmental factors are the leading contributor, 60-70%, causative factor for obesity. Metabolic abnormalities are associated with obesity including high fibrinogen, hypertension, glucose intolerance, insulin resistance and hyperinsulinemia. Also, people who are obese have an increase in free fatty acids which will decrease your body use of glucose and result in hyperglycemia.
Why is this important?
It is important to understand obesity and being overweight because of the negative impact it can have on your health and that there is a way to help change that, the Slim Shot weight loss program.
Here at Aristocrat Plastic Surgery we have developed the Slim Shot weight loss program. It utilizes medical weight loss, along with diet modification, monitoring, preventive aesthetics plan to counter act the effects of facial volume loss, support and a maintenance plan once weight loss is achieved for long lasting success.
Medical Weight loss with Semaglutide
What is Semaglutide ?
Semaglutide is a polypedtide , GLP -1 analog (Glucagon- Like Peptide-1). It is produced by the cells of the small intestine in response to the consumption of nutrients, mainly glucose. This allows for carbohydrate metabolism regulation by increasing the production of insulin and suppressing the release of glucagon. Essentially, Semaglutide causes insulin sensitivity to be increased, which decreases glucose production and promotes satiety (feeling full) and decreases the over –eating.
How is it administered?
Semaglutide is administered as a once weekly injection subcutaneously (under the skin) in the abdomen, arms, or thighs. It is initially administered at a low dose and gradually increased every 4 weeks based on tolerance. This titration allows for us minimize the potential gastrointestinal adverse effects.
Is it effective?
Semaglutide has been well studied with good safety and efficacy data. The overall conclusion of the studies done was that there was in fact a reduction of body weight in patients who used semaglutide regardless of age, sex, ethnicity and baseline BMI, and level of renal function impairment. Semaglutide showed statistically significant (p < 0.001) reduction in body weight compared to the placebo in all study groups, confirming its use in chronic management of weight loss.
What are the possible side effects?
Possible adverse effects associate to Semaglutide include the following:
- Some patients experience nausea or vomiting when starting Semaglutide or with dose escalations. Anti-nausea medication may be prescribed to help with this.
- Semaglutide can cause thyroid C-cell tumors, for this reason patients should be monitored prior to initiation for any family history of thyroid cancers. Indications of possible thyroid tumors may be a lump in the neck, hoarseness, pain while swallowing, or trouble breathing.
- Increase risk for pancreatitis. If a patient experiences severe abdominal pain that radiated towards their back and may or may not be accompanied by vomiting, suggesting pancreatitis, Semaglutide is to be discontinued immediately. Baseline lab assessment and interval monitoring of yours labs and symptoms will be conducted throughout your treatment.
- Semaglutide was originally indicated for type II diabetes; therefore as a result hypoglycemia may occur. Hypoglycemic symptoms include shakiness, dizziness, sweating, tachycardia, and confusion. If the patient experiences any of these symptoms, they are to consume some form of sugar (at least 15 grams) and wait 15 minutes for the resolution of symptoms.
- The patient should also avoid dehydration as this can potentially cause kidney injury while using Semaglutide. Your renal function will be monitored in your labs.
- Rare but reported symptoms of worsening depression, suicidal thoughts or behaviors, or any changes in their mood have been reported. If so this should be reported to health care provider immediately.
Slim Shot Weight Loss Program
The Slim Shot Weight Loss Program is a step by step approach for successful and lasting weight loss. The plan is 4 month package followed by a maintenance plan . During that time you will receive a 4 month supply of Semaglutide (included in your package), initial consultation which includes physical exam, labs . A Weight loss plan discussing suggested diet modification . You will be given a weight loss journal . We will also perform a facial assessment which will discuss potential areas of volume loss. We will again review these areas in months 3 or 4 of your plan. At that time, we will create a custom regimen to help manage the sequala of significant weight loss, to help you look your best. This will include methods of skin tightening and agents that can help with improving your volume loss and building collagen. Skin care is always important, therefore also included in your package is complimentary skin care to help promote clear, youthful skin with stellar results. Contact us today for a consultation.